Hiccups are an unwanted and uncontrolled contraction of the diaphragm, which can be repeated several times during one minute. The contraction is followed by a sudden closure of the vocal cords, resulting in a distinctive sound.
Although the sound often provokes laughter in the audience, hiccups are known to be unpleasant and irritating phenomenon, especially when repeated in a while. In most cases the hiccup stops after a few minutes.
What can cause hiccups?
The most common reasons for appearance on hiccups are:
Overeating or eating too fast;
Strong emotions such as fear, anxiety, joy or euphoria;
Consumption of carbonated beverages;
Eating dry or spicy foods;
Temperature change in the stomach – drinking a cold drink after a hot beverage;
Consuming alcohol in large quantities;
How can you help yourself?
Hiccups usually disappears within a few minutes. Only in rare cases it is a sign of a more serious health problem. If hiccups not stop within 48 hours, seek professional advice.
There are many different ways that you can stop the normal hiccups. Some might they act funny, but worth it to give them a chance.
– Breathe and hold the air in you as long as possible. Take a deep breath and slowly count to 10 before you exhale. Repeat 3-4 times.
– Drink cold water. 10 quick drink small sips of cold water, or do gargle with cold water.
– Eat a teaspoon of sugar or honey.
– Breathe into a paper bag. If you do not have a paper bag, cover your nose and mouth with their hands and breathe some time that way.
Put your tongue out as much as you can to stop the hiccups
– Gently stopper your ears. Stopper carefully to ear canals with their hands or fingers over a period of 20-30 seconds. Many argue that this is exactly the “cure” for boring hiccups.
– Bite a slice of lemon or go and have a little sip vinegar. Bitter taste helps release of hiccups.
– Raise your knees toward your chest and hug them hard.