Soda, or as some people like to call it, liquid sugar, it is harmful to our bodies without a question. But the sad thing is soda sales keep increasing every year and it’s causing major health problems.
The warm months are coming in the northern hemisphere, and along with the increasing heat and al fresco dining comes a greater need for hydrating the human body. Indeed, some sources estimate that people need at least twice the amount of fluids in hot weather when they are exercising than for the same exercise in the cold. The healthiest hydrating fluids are water, natural juices, and non-caffeinated tea, such as green tea. Unfortunately, during hot weather many people choose to drink soda or diet soda instead of their healthier drink choices.
- There are many reasons why you should stop drinking soda right now, we will list a few reasons in this article.
- People who drink one or more sodas per day have a 50- 60% higher risk of metabolic syndrome
- One can of soda contains between 45- 100 milligrams of caffeine which roughly equals the levels found in most coffee, and this can contribute to hyperactivity in adults and children.
- Artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin, have been shown to greatly increase the incidents cancers of the bladder, female reproductive organs, and brain tumors.
- Sodas are high in sodium content which has been linked with higher risks of a variety of cardiovascular problems.
- Soda drinkers tend to have poor eating habits, including they eat more daily calories, consume more saturated fat, eat more trans fats, eat less fiber, exercise less, and are more sedentary in lifestyle.
- The caramel color in soda is carcinogenic and promotes resistance to insulin which is needed for processing calories.
- People who drink one or more sodas per day have twice the risk of developing heart disease.
- One soda a day gives children a 60% greater risk of childhood obesity.
- Sodas interact adversely with antacids which can cause constipation, nausea, vomiting, headaches, and kidney damage.
- Drinking soda is linked with increased incidents of diabetes and elevated triglycerides.
- People are consuming unnecessary calories without even realizing it. Calories from drinks including soda make up over 20% of the total daily calories consumed by Americans.
- Children who drink sodas have lower rate of minerals in their bone which leads to a much higher risk of bone fractures and higher cases of rickets.
- The penicillin in sodas causes allergenic reactions within 10% of the population including the symptoms of hives, angioedema, or anaphylaxis.
- All different types of adhesives are rich in phosphoric acid, which is a substance compatible with the formation of kidney stones and changes and urine. Consuming just one quart (less than three 12-ounce cans) of soda in a week increases the chances of developing kidney stones by 15%.